My One of a Kind Love Affair With The Spinners


"I'll think about it."

For some people this means maybe, but for my cousin this means no. That is what she said when I invited her to go see the Spinners in concert. I asked a few more friends, but even my mother was not interested. Mom did however, give me a good lead on a potential concert companion--her older sister, my aunt.

I found out where my aunt's seats were and secured a seat right behind her. It seemed that as soon as I decided to see the concert, songs I rarely hear by the Spinners kept popping up on the radio all the time. "Could It Be I'm Falling in Love" and "Working My Way Back To You" took me back to summertime in the 70's when I was just a child enjoying a play date in my cousin's garage.


On concert night, I stood in the admittance line at El Camino College and spotted my Auntie B three parties ahead of me wearing an all-white jean outfit. Once inside, she spotted her ex-husband and his wife while I cruised down to row P to find my seat.

The lights dimmed as I chatted with the woman fortunate enough to be seated next to me while I was in full chatterbox mode. She was sixty eight and we agreed that we were fortunate to be seated near the aisle so we could get up and dance if the spirit moved us. After being "taken to church" during a moving rendition of "Sadie", when the Spinners sang "We're Having a Party", I got up into the aisle to dance. As I swayed in the aisle, Charles, the lead singer, came down from the stage into the audience and danced with women along the opposite aisle.

I left the concert dancing through the parking lot and singing the doo wops that accompanied the song "Rubber Band Man". I felt happy, light and full of positive energy. This is the soundtrack of my youth, in the movie that is my life and I am grateful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jury Duty-Induced Adult Onslaught ADD

ThanksLiving

Slow Down, Don't Worry, Leave Something