Skip to It

by Agnes Williams

Two days ago, I was watching my three year old granddaughter trying to skip. I have prided myself in teaching my nephews, nieces, two children, and my other three grandchildren in the art of skipping. I had the perfect skip technique.


Skipping is an art, and I enjoyed the hopping and rhythm of it. Skipping to me is just pure fun. So, in my mind I heard, "Keep up the tradition Agnes, show Maya the art of skipping". I didn't realize I hadn't skipped with a child in four years. So, I said to Maya, " Follow Grandmother", and to my utter surprise when I tried to skip my knees took a holiday.

My equilibrium was impacted with the loss of knee power, and I could not properly hop. I turned to my husband, and said "I lost my skip". Instead of feeling remorse, I laughed. Don't ask why that would be funny, but I thought, okay get a grip.

I have been quietly practicing ways to adjust so I can skip again. I believe when things don't work out for you or go wrong, you adjust. And if it stills doesn't work out for you, time to make some changes. So, I lost my skip perhaps permanently, and I figure I can point to others and request they teach Maya the art of skipping (of course I will be critiquing).

The world is abundant with many joyful things that can make us happy. All we have to do is be still and accept the abundance. I know there will be other fun things I can teach Maya.



I will mourn losing the ability to "skip". However, there is perhaps a win-win even if between the dash there could be a loss, you just have to remember to "skip" forward to the win and let go of what you can't do any longer to the possibilities of what you can do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jury Duty-Induced Adult Onslaught ADD

ThanksLiving

Slow Down, Don't Worry, Leave Something